Current Position: Assistant Professor
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Field of Interest: Journalism and Social Media
Title: Assistant Professor
College: Communication & Media Technologies
Department: Media and Public Relations
Specialization (General): Media
Specialization (Specific): Journalism and Publishing
- Ph.D. in Journalism and Publishing, Faculty of Mass Communication. Omdurman Islamic University, Sudan, 2015.
- Master: Journalism and Publishing, Faculty of Mass Communication. Omdurman Islamic University, Sudan, 2002.
- Bachelor of Journalism & Public Relations, Faculty of Mass Communication. Omdurman Islamic University, Sudan, 1998.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK (FHEA-UK).
- Member of Sudanese Society for Communication Sciences and Media.
Teaching & Learning Statement
Dr. AL-Taher’s teaching philosophy focuses on meeting new graduates’ needs by providing them with both general knowledge and practical skills that will comprehensively prepare them to begin their careers in journalism. This is accomplished by ensuring that they have interactive and thoughtful experiences in class. All of my lessons are planned with lectures, activities, tools, and assessments to ensure that students are engaged, absorbing, and improving.
Elements of Core Knowledge he depends on mentioning the news’s concepts, its sources, its characteristics, and its different types. Defines publication standards for press news. Distinguish between the technical forms of building and narrating news (events, information, statements) and the steps of news coverage and the effects of social media on them.
Most courses Dr. Al-Taher has taught, Such As Arab and international media courses, editing press news, media legislation and ethics, investigative journalism, journalistic reporting and dialogue, electronic journalism, journalism in social media, and history media in Bahrain.
Dr. AL-Taher worked for more than twenty years in journalism and moved in all disciplines and writing fields. Then I joined the university teaching, which allowed me to balance the theories and practice of the benefit of students.
He always connects between academic curricula and real-life experience, and community to improve students’ lifelong learning and accelerate their learning through teamwork, research project homework exercises & supplementary reading (V3, K3). For example, one topic dealt with Journalism ethics in JOR263 exposed the recent issues in editing ethics in the 9th week of the fall semester 2018/2019, and he addressed the list of references for supplementary reading to encourage the students to think critically and analyze the task and open discussion in the class.
Dr. Al-Taher worked as the head of the Media and Public Relations Department at the Gulf University.
Dr. AL-Taher’s areas of interest and research include the history of the press, social media, and the future of journalism- including the development and evolution of journalism brought about through advancements in technology.
- The trends of journalists in the GCC countries towards the future of Journalistic Work – An exploratory study among Bahraini media professionals, The International Journal of Social Communication, Abdelhamid ibn badis university of mostaganem, Algeria, 29 October 2020.
- Industry News between the newspapers and the media of social communication, Journal of Communication Sciences, Islamic University of Omdurman, Faculty of Information, the second issue, in March 2017.
- Press Children in Sudan, the first edition, 1999.
- Bibliography the Sudanese press in the century, (1898-1998), the first edition 2001.
- Under Copyright, Sudanese Military Encyclopedia – History of Sudanese Military Units (with Major General Naji Abdul Nabi Abdul Qadir – Colonel Dr.Omar Noor), and Southern Sudan Encyclopedia.
Other Interest & Activities
Dr. Abdulla Al Taher enjoys reading and writing articles in political and historical fields and authoring poetry and stories.