The program focuses on the Mass Communication major from a contemporary perspective, highlighting the changing Media practices, especially in the digital context. The program emphasizes an interdisciplinary perspective that allows students to work across various avenues of media production. It is designed for students who wish to pursue a broad approach to the study of mass communication institutions, processes, effects, research methods, and analysis. At the same time, it develops skills and theoretical understanding for writing, shooting, recording, editing, and publishing works for digital distribution, events, print, radio and television broadcast, social media, and web-streaming.
Additionally, the program provides a solid understanding of the interaction between media, culture, and society, as well as developing analytical skills, technical skills, and transferable skills as a good foundation for a career in the Mass Communication field. It is also centered around how messages persuade and affect the behavior and opinion of the target audiences.
The program equips the students with necessary employability skills like technical skills along with the professional skills in the media sectors and even more importantly, equips them to gain successful work in this continuously evolving field.
- The Mass Communication program is the only Arabic program outside the UK accredited by CIPR (Chartered Institute of Public Relations).
- The Mass Communication program has the ASJMC membership.
The Program aims to:
- Partnership with many reputed institutions related to the media industry in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Inspire alumni to be leaders and innovators in their fields.
Discover Our Campus
|Duration:||Full Time: 130 Credit Hours|
May (Summer for transferred students)
Get In Touch
For questions regarding study and admissions please contact us:
(+973) 1762 0092
Building 1964, Road 4363، Sanad 743, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Knowledgeable: Possess in depth knowledge in concepts, theories, principles of mass communication, historical background, and ethics within socio-cultural context
- Professional: Ability to show professionalism in producing media forms and be competitive to serve local, regional, and international media industries
- Effective Communicator: Ability to communicate effectively in written, verbal, and visual format with the public, colleagues, clients, and media professionals globally
- Leader and Team Player: Ability to play a constructive role as leader and team member in collaborative tasks within media profession and beyond
- Problem Solver & Innovator: Ability to critically analyze, draw creative and innovative solutions and evaluate media forms using professional arguments
- Lifelong Learner: Be prepared and self-motivated to learn continuously for personal and professional development while adapting to contemporary media practices in digital age
- Ethical and Committed: Commitment to media ethics, legislations, culture, and sustainable development
- Reflective Thinker & Initiator: Ability to reflect their learning in carrying out impactful initiatives for industry and community
130 credit hours, divided into 8 semesters (4 years).
Bachelor in Mass Communications Study Plan (Click to download).
- The student must have a high school diploma or its equivalent and recognized by the Ministry of Education in the Kingdom of Bahrain. The cumulative GPA should not be less than 60%. Otherwise, the student will be enrolled in a preparatory program that includes several courses.
- The student must have an acceptable score in any of the following:
- TOEFL (500 PBT / 61 IBT)
- IELTS (5.5), FCE (60%), or equivalent.
- Otherwise, he/she must sit a placement test at the Gulf University.
- For students who do not meet the English language requirements, they must successfully pass the English courses.
- The student must pass the following subject tests: Computer Skills, Arabic Language, and otherwise, he must register and pass the associated preparatory courses.
- The student must pass the personal interview before the Admission Committee.
The Program is run over a period of 4 years as follow:
The program’s first-year courses will provide you with generalized knowledge and skills through a set of courses that qualify you to understand communication discipline, as an interdisciplinary major designed to offer students the opportunity to form their study across several disciplines. For this reason, this year includes some supporting science courses as the basic to understand the interactive relation between communication and the community.
The second-year courses provide detailed knowledge and basic and some advanced practical skills. You will study a set of integrated courses required to understand areas related to digital media, public relations, market research, and public opinion trends, in addition to other courses required to develop your practical skills like photography, videography, script writing, news editing, and conducting media research.
The third-year courses will equip you with advanced knowledge and skills. During this year, you will choose from two main tracks: electronic media and electronic public relations, and you will study four compulsory courses and one specialized course in addition to some mutual courses, which focus on sustainability and its various dimensions, as well as the most important legislation and ethics governing the media, the persuasive impact of communication messages, in addition to enhancing the media translation skills from English to Arabic and vice versa.
The fourth-year courses emphasize critical knowledge and specialist-level skills. This will provide an opportunity for you to develop your skills in conducting field research, enhancing the citizen-journalism practice, applying strategic management for media institutions, writing professionally in English, and using digital platforms to promote different products and ideas. During this year, you will study two compulsory courses, as well as two elective courses.
- BHD100 per credit hour.
The Total amount before Discount BHD 13,000 and Gulf University provide to the student’s scholarship according to their high school GPA as shown in below tables:
|Secondary GPA||GU Discount||Total Amount After Discount|
|1.||95 >=||50%||BHD 6,000|
|2.||90% – 94.9%||40%||BHD 7,800|
|3.||80% – 89.9%||30%||BHD 9,100|
|4.||70% – 79.9%||20%||BHD 10,400|
|5.||60% – 69.9%||10%||BHD 11,700|
The College of Mass Communication has allocated special facilities for students to prepare and train them, namely:
- TV Studio: equipped with the latest TV production technology.
- Radio Studio: equipped with the latest broadcast production technology.
- Graphic, and Multimedia Lab.
- Journalism and Public Relation Lab.
- General Lab (lab 204).
- Master Lab.
- Library and scientific journals and electronic paper.
- Classrooms equipped with the latest display facilities.
- Photography studio
- ENG equipment for outdoor shooting.
- Multimedia lab
- General and Public Relations lab
- Mac lab
- Journalism lab
- Lecture Hall
- Seminar Room
- Open Space Lecture Zone 1
- Open Space Lecture Zone 2
The Bachelor in Mass Communication program is designed to prepare work-ready graduates with 21st century skills. The graduates are contributing to the following career opportunities in the field of Mass Communication:
- Script Writer.
- Content and Copywriter.
- Video Editor.
- Audio Editor.
- Public Opinion Measurement Specialist.
- Creative Media Consultant.
- Producer of Media Market Studies.
- Media Content Manager.
- Social media Data Analyst.
- Entrepreneur in Media Field.
- Promoter on social media.
- Researcher in Media Field
Career opportunities in the field of Digital Public Relations:
- Campaign Manager/ Planner/ Specialist
- Public Relations Manager/ Planner/ Specialist
- Crisis Communication Managers
- Event Manager/ Planner
- Virtual Event Manager/ Planner
- Ceremonies Manager
- Corporate Communications officer.
- Strategic Thinker in Public Relations
- Corporate Spokesperson
- Social Media Manager.
- Customer Relation Officer.
Career opportunities in the field of Digital Media:
- Digital Media Producer/ Planner/ Specialist
- Social News Writer.
- News Video Producer.
- Digital Storyteller.
- Digital Content Producer/ Coordinator.
- Media Production Manager.
- News Anchor.
- Television Director.
- Radio Director.
- Infographic Designer.
- Visual Journalist.
Every student takes up an assigned task related to their field of study in a firm of relevant specialization under the guidance of an internal faculty and supervision of an external field supervisor. For internship, 40% of the marks are assessed by the field supervisor, 30% by the academic supervisor, and 30% by the internship jury panel.
The College of Communication and Media Technologies provides students with an enabling environment to practice several activities and organize cultural and social events. The college also provides space for students to practice indoor and outdoor photography in multiple and diverse locations, a news-editing room, public relations laboratory, and television and radio studios. Worthy of mentioning here that the students can benefit from a huge library that contains a huge number of printed books and different databases in Arabic and English. Students can also benefit from external photography equipment, montage laboratories, graphics, photography, and specialized suites of applications, ¬¬ such as Adobe, Zoho, and Social News Platform. Moreover, the program provides students with the possibility to participate in and manage the various activities and events organized by the university. In addition, the college encourages its students to participate in several sports activities and tournaments. Finally, the students can study in their free time in the university’s cafeteria, which provides light meals and is designed with modern decorations that are distinctive for students’ comfort.
|Is the program offered only in the Arabic language?||80% of program courses are offered in Arabic, while 20% are in English.|
|Is the bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication at Gulf university program accredited by any international accreditation bodies?||Yes, it obtained full recognition by the Chartered institution for public Relations (CIPR) in the UK.|
IT Support Office
08:00 AM – 04:00 PM
Admission Desk – Ground Floor
04:00 PM – 06:00 PM
Gulf University, P.O. Box 26489, Kingdom of Bahrain,
Phone: +973 1762 0092 – Extension 121
Careers & Employability
The program aims to provide the graduate with the necessary knowledge in the field of media to meet the needs of the labor market of national cadres in Bahrain and the Gulf Cooperation Council countries in various areas of media, especially the following:
- Government and private companies and radio and television institutions (programmer – screenwriter – news editor – director – television cameraman – producer of short films – editor – presenter – reporter).
- Press institutions (news editor – press reporter – photojournalist – press director).
- Public relations departments in public and private institutions (public relations employee – a specialist in corporate communication management – event’s organizer).
- Media websites.
- News agencies.
- Advertising companies.
- Specialist in managing social media platforms.
- And other renewable media and public relations professions.
Wejdan Salah's Story
“Taking a work placement is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It enabled me to have the opportunity to look thoroughly into the HR industry, to develop an understanding of the structure, behaviour and working norms within an organisation, as well as improving my verbal and written communication skills.
The placement has played a key role in determining what career I would like to pursue, I am now confident as to what I would like to do after graduating. I feel like I now have an advantage on expanding my network in the HR sector. This placement has also had a huge impact on my personal development – a year ago, I was a shy individual whereas now I am more confident and can see the transformation within myself.”
Advertising & Digital Marketing
The MEDIA & MARKETING TECHNOLOGY Department of the Gulf University was established in response to the needs of the Bahraini community and its institutions in keeping pace with the Gulf, Arab and international interest in educational studies of media & marketing technology.