The field of Mechanical Engineering has continually grown with progress as it links principles of physics and mathematics to materials science in the design, manufacturing, installation, and operation of machines.
The BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering program is a blend of theory and practice which provides students with knowledge, skills and attributes relevant to Mechanical Engineering discipline, where you will study mechanical engineering principles, mechanical design and simulation, materials science, control systems, thermo-fluids, corrosion and condition monitoring, as well as investigating sustainability and innovation within the industry and business practice. The program prepares you for a successful career, empowering you to drive the industry forward and make change for good in the engineering world. The program supports you to identify the skills acquired, build on your strengths and gain practical experience through hands-on computer and laboratory work in our state-of-the-art facilities.
- Receive engineering degree from University of Northampton while studying in Bahrain
- Explore opportunity to complete one or two semesters in the UK campus, University of Northampton
- Get hands on and experiential learning through state of the art labs and workshops
- Access learning resources of University of Northampton and Gulf University while studying in Bahrain
- Enrich the learning experience through highly qualified, experienced and diverse faculty from both the universities
- Become the student at a reputed UK university which has been awarded GOLD in UK Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
- Experience high quality education of UK system at affordable cost with scholarship up to 30% on course fees
- Obtaining membership with Professional bodies such as IEEE and IET.
Discover Our Campus
|Duration:||Full Time: 130 Credit Hours|
May (Summer for transferred students)
Get In Touch
For questions regarding study and admissions please contact us:
(+973) 1762 0092
Building 1964, Road 4363، Sanad 743, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Engineering Professionalism: They will have the ability to understand and apply ethical principles and adhere to professional ethics, responsibilities, and norms of engineering technology practice.
- Teamwork and Communication skills: Graduates convey ideas and information to a range of audiences for a variety of purposes and contribute in a positive and collaborative manner to the achieve the common goals.
- Lifelong learner: Graduates will have the ability to educate themselves and keep up to date with contemporary issues and recent trends in mechanical Engineering program with life-long learning through well-developed learning skills.
- Creative and critical thinking, and problem solving: Graduates are effective problems-solvers, able to apply critical, creative and evidence-based thinking to conceive innovative responses to future challenges.
- Design and implementation: Graduates will have the ability and skills to design and implement different engineering projects and applications in all aspects of their specialization.
- Economics and project management: The use of appropriate modern engineering technologies, resources, and tools including information technology to solve precisely defined engineering problems, while being mindful of limitations.
- Impact of engineering on society and the environment: Graduates will implement the knowledge gained in integrating sustainable ideas and practices into all aspects of their lives.
- Applicant must have a high-school certificate or an equivalent, or a certificate from applied technical or industrial institutes or an equivalent, according to the regulations of the Ministry of Education in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- The high-school certificates must be in either Science or Industrial branches, with a GPA of no less than 60%.
- Applicants with GPA equal to or greater than 60% must sit for, and pass in placement tests, and if they fail, they must enrol in relevant preparatory courses, which are of (3) credit hours each.
The following are the placement tests for the Foundation Year of BEE and BEME Programs and relevant preparatory course(s) to be enrolled in, if applicants fail in placement test(s):
- Basic Engineering Mathematics:
Pass Mark for Mathematics test is 65%. If the Applicant scores less than 65%, s/he is required to enrol in the Preparatory Course (MTH015 Basic Mathematics for Engineering).
- Basic Physics:
Pass Mark for Basic Physics test is 65%. If the Applicant scores less than 65%, s/he is required to enrol in the Preparatory Course (PHY010 Basic Physics).
- Computer Skills:
Pass Mark for Computer Skills test is 65%. If the Applicant scores less than 65%, s/he is required to enrol in the Preparatory Course (CS011 Computer Skills).
- English Language Proficiency:
Pass Mark for English Language Proficiency test is 65%. If the Applicant scores 40% to less than 65%, s/he is required to enrol in the following Preparatory Course (ENG016 Foundation English 2). If the Applicant scores less than 40%, s/he is required to enrol in the following two Preparatory Courses (ENG015 Foundation English 1 and ENG016 Foundation English 2).
Applicants with GPA less than 60% shall directly enrol in a preparatory program before enrolling in any of the Core Courses of the Foundation Year Schedule (defined in Article 5.3.1 of this document). The preparatory program shall include the following preparatory courses:
- MTH015 – Basic Mathematics for Engineering,
- PHY010 – Basic Physics,
- CS011- Computer Skills,
- ENG015 – Foundation English 1,
- ENG016 – Foundation English 2.
However, applicants can enroll in other courses of the Foundation Year schedule in addition to the required preparatory course(s) within the maximum academic load of the student as stated in GU Enrolment Procedures.
The BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering degree program is offered in four years including the foundation year. Applicants must complete first the foundation year, then s/he is eligible to enrol in UON curriculum with courses in stage 1, 2 and 3.
The foundation year (first year) offers a range of courses with transferable skills and an opportunity to improve on your knowledge content for relevant Engineering, Mathematics, and University General courses.
Courses offered in stage 1, 2 and 3 provide a strong grounding in mathematics, mechanical engineering principles, mechanical design and simulation, materials science, thermo-fluids, corrosion, control systems, and condition monitoring, as well as investigating sustainability and innovation within the industry and business practice.
STAGE 1 (year 2):
- Introduction to Engineering Design
- Mathematics for Engineers
- Materials Science
- Thermo-Fluid and Mechanical Principles
- Electrical and Electronic Principles
- Engineering Industry Practice
STAGE 2 (year 3):
- Advanced Mathematics for Engineers
- Advanced Thermo-Fluids
- Engineering Design
- Control Systems
- Solid Mechanics
- Industrial Appreciation
Final year gives the opportunity to direct the studies towards interest and passion of the students as s/he can choose from a range of courses. Students will complete the graduation project in the chosen topic under the supervision of faculty in relevant specialization.
STAGE 3 (year 4):
- Computational Fluid Mechanics
- Corrosion Engineering
- Lean Manufacture and Quality Applications
- Mechanisms and Machines
- Engineering Project
- Lecture Hall
- Seminar Room
- Computer Lab for HR Software
- Open Space Lecture Zone 1
- Open Space Lecture Zone 2
Careers & Employability
The program creates opportunity for careers in a number of different sectors including Aerospace industry, Automotive industry, Chemicals industry, Construction industry, Defence industry, Fast-moving consumer goods industry, Marine industry, Materials and metals industry, Oil and gas industry, Pharmaceuticals industry, Power generation industry, Rail industry and Utilities industry.
The graduates are contributing to following career opportunities in the field of Mechanical Engineering:
- Design engineer
- Site engineer
- Project engineer
- Mechanical lead engineer
- Quality assurance/quality control engineer
- Planning engineer
- Production engineer
- Shop floor engineer
- Engineering supervisor
Our graduates are also encouraged to pursue postgraduate studies in Mechanical engineering or related field.
Wejdan Salah's Story
“Taking a work placement is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It enabled me to have the opportunity to look thoroughly into the HR industry, to develop an understanding of the structure, behaviour and working norms within an organisation, as well as improving my verbal and written communication skills.
The placement has played a key role in determining what career I would like to pursue, I am now confident as to what I would like to do after graduating. I feel like I now have an advantage on expanding my network in the HR sector. This placement has also had a huge impact on my personal development – a year ago, I was a shy individual whereas now I am more confident and can see the transformation within myself.”
Receiving a degree from a prestigious UK University while studying in Bahrain with options to complete one or two semesters in the UK campus is indeed exciting. University of Northampton is pleased to offer Electrical and Electronic Engineering program in collaboration with GU in Bahrain.